Jagtvej 162, 2100 København Ø, Building 30, room 230
- 2009: Ph.D. Medicinal Chemistry, University of Copenhagen
- 2005: M.Sc. Human Biology, University of Copenhagen
- 2002: B.Sc. Biochemistry, University of Copenhagen
Appointments and Training
• 2016 (Dec) – (Present): Associate Professor and Group Leader, Department of Drug Design and Pharmacology (DDP), University of Copenhagen (UCPH).
• 2014 (Jan) – 2016 (Nov): Assistant Professor, DDP, UCPH. (deemed qualified as Associate Professor in Nov 2014 and Oct 2016)
• 2013 (Aug-Dec): Postdoc in the Chemical Biology group, DDP, UCPH.
• 2012 (Aug) – 2013 (Aug): Postdoc at the Italian Institute of Technology, Department of Drug Discovery and Development (IIT-D3), Genoa, Italy, under supervision of Dr. Tiziano Bandiera and Prof. Daniele Piomelli.
• 2009 (Jan) – 2012 (Aug): Postdoc in the Chemical Biology group, DDP (Formerly known as the Dept. of Medicinal Chemistry), UCPH.
• 2005 (April) – 2009 (Jan): Ph.D. student at the Chemical Biology group, UCPH, under supervision of Prof. Kristian Strømgaard.
- Part of the Ph.D. took place at the Carlsberg Biosector, Carlsberg Research Center, Denmark under supervision of Dr. Ole Thastrup; at Department of Genetics and Pathology, Uppsala University, Sweden, under supervision of Prof. Ulf Landegren; and at the Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Department of Molecular Biology, Munich, Germany under supervision of Dr. Thorsten Berg.
• 2004 (Feb) – 2005 (March): Master thesis project at Department of Pharmacology, Panum Institute, UCPH, under supervision of Prof. Thue W. Schwartz.
- Co-author of 41 scientific international peer-reviewed articles (incl. 2 reviews); 11 as first-author (e.g. 2xAngew. Chem. Int. Ed., PNAS USA, 3xJ. Med. Chem., Sci. Rep., Neuropharmacology) and 7 as corresponding/co-corresponding author (PNAS USA, 3xJ. Med. Chem., Sci. Rep., MedChemComm, Neuropharmacology).
- Main/sole author of 1 book chapter.
- H-index is 18, citations with/without self-citations are 1099/992 (Web of Science).
- Co-inventor of 8 international patents/patent applications.
Grants (as Principle Applicant)
- Hørslev Foundation: DKK 100.000 (2020) (Keap1 project)
- The BioInnovation Institute (BII) Proof of Concept (PoC) program: DKK 1.000.000 (2020) (NOX2 project)
- HALOS Cross Border Research Grant: DKK 168.000 (2019) (X-ray studies with MAX IV, Lund)
- Augustinus Foundation: DKK 99.189 (2018) (FBDD project on new stroke and cancer targets)
- Augustinus Foundation: DKK 100.000 (2016) (H-cube apparatus)
- Lundbeck Foundation Fellowship: DKK 10.000.000 (2015) (Starting Grant)
- The A.P. Møller Foundation for the Advancement of Medical Science: DKK 50.000 (2014) (Fragment project)
- Weimann Grant: DKK 1.079.115 (2014) (2 years salary for the fragment-based drug discovery project)
- Hørslev Foundation: DKK 357.638 (2014) (Fragment library)
- Augustinus Foundation: DKK 100.000 (2014) (Fragment library)
- The Lundbeck Foundation: DKK 12.000 (2014) (Conference participation in San Diego)
- The Carlsberg Foundation: DKK 350.000 (2012) (Postdoc salary for stay at IIT-D3 in Italy)
- Augustinus Foundation: DKK 50.000 (2012)
- Torben and Alice Frimodt´s Foundation: DKK 25.000 (2012)
- Fonden Frikkes Legat: DKK 20.000 (2012)
- Hørslev Foundation: DKK 307.000 (2012)
- The Danish Council for Independent Research (Technology and Production Sciences): DKK 2 mill. (2010) (Postdoc salary for two years)
- Familien Hede Nielsens Foundation: DKK 25.000 (2010)
- Direktør Ib Henriksens Foundation: DKK 50.000 (2010)
Grants (as Co-applicant)
- China Scholarship Council (PhD grant for Yuting Qin): DKK 357.000 (2020)
- China Scholarship Council (PhD grant for Chunyu Lin): DKK 357.000 (2019)
- China Scholarship Council (PhD grant for Liang Yang): DKK 357.000 (2018)
- DRA/Lundbeck Foundation scholarship (Kim Tai Tran): DKK 70.000 (2017)
- China Scholarship Council (PhD grant for Jie Zang): DKK 357.000 (2017)
- Wellcome Trust Translational Award: DKK 18.000.000 (2015) (Avilex Pharma)
- Exploratory Pre-seed Grant, Novo Nordisk Foundation: DKK 500.000 (2012)
- The Novo Nordisk Foundation: DKK 400.000 (2011)
- The Danish Agency for Science, Technology and Innovation (Proof of Concept Foundation): DKK 2x750.000 (2010, 2011)
- Copenhagen Spin-outs: Most promising biotech project 2012-13: DKK 2.500 (Avilex Pharma)
- Danish Society of Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Medicinal Chemistry (DSFTM): Young Danish Scientist 2010: DKK 5.000
Research Management – Experience and Courses
- Leader of own research group of 5-10 people (2016 - 2020)
- Supervised 2 postdocs, 6 Ph.D. and 18 master/exchange students (2008-2018)
- UCPHforward – a talent programme for excellence in research (UCPH) (Jan – Nov 2019)
- Conflict management (PCAP workshop) (Feb 2019)
- Project management course module 1-3 - Research projects (UCPH/Attractor) (2016)
- PhD supervision course (UCPH) (2016)
- Research management course for young researchers (by Søren Barlebo) (2013)
- On-going: Principal supervisor for 1 postdoc, 2 Ph.D. students, and 5 master students. Primary co-supervisor for 1 Ph.D. student
- Supervised/co-supervised 1 postdoc, 13 master/Erasmus/exchange students, 1 bachelor student, 5 research assistants, 4 Ph.D. students
- Organic Chemistry 2 (OKII) - laboratory course (2 years)
- Immune Therapy (master course of the Immunology and Inflammation master education) – lecture (1 year)
- Chemical Biology & Combinatorial Methods (Ph.D. course) – lecture (1 year)
- Innovation and Intellectual Property Rights in Biotechnology (Ph.D. course) – class lesson, lecture, course design (4 year)
- Pharmacology and Toxicology (Human biology) – lecture (3 years)
- Medicinal and Biostructural Chemistry – class lessons and lectures (9 years)
- Bioorganic Chemistry – class lessons and laboratory courses (5 years)
Other Research Activities
In December (27th) 2012, I co-founded Avilex Pharma (www.avilexpharma.com) together with co-founder Prof. Kristian Strømgaard and Novo Seeds (Novo A/S). Avilex Pharma is a spin-out company from Dept. of Drug Design and Pharmacology focusing on the development of dimeric PSD-95 inhibitors against ischemic stroke. My major areas of responsibility in Avilex pharma are: Intellectual Property (IP) rights, in vivo pharmacology (ischemic stroke models), and Chemistry, Manufacturing and Control (CMC). I have had various positions in Avilex Pharma:
- January 2016 – (Present): Consultant (ca. 0.5 day/week)
- January 2013 – December 2015: Advisor/Interim CSO/Senior Scientist (1 day/week)